Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Revenge of Galway Bay, Oysters, and Giant Willies


This morning I get a facebook message from Jenn asking if I wanted to go up to Salt Hill again with her. Sounds like a good time so I decide to go We first walk to the farmer’s market in downtown Galway, and I buy a crepe with butter, sugar, and lemon, on it. I try to get crepes every chance I get since they're not as common in the US. We walk through the city part to Salt Hill rather than taking the more scenic route by the water. We sit on this atrium like seating and do some of our reading for class. Near us a younger guy in a swimsuit-thong runs into the water after being encouraged by his friends. One of his friends threw some change in front of us so the thong man could lean over and pick it up. Wasn’t the most pleasant view of my life to say the least. We want to jump off the diving station, but the tide is too low so we decide to go into a café and wait until three o’clock. We both ordered tea and I read from the Dubliners. Very much a Debbie-Downer book. At three o’clock we walked back to the diving platforms. We saw people swimming in the water and even some jumping off he platforms, so we knew we had to do it. We decided to go one at a time, both so we can take pictures and to be able to guard our stuff. Jenn went first and she tried to tell me that it wasn’t that cold. I knew she was fibbing for my sake because she was shivering. I stripped down to my swim suit and shakily made my way up the diving platform. The splash from the waves hit me as I climbed up, and I was having severe second thoughts. But I got up there and tried to calm myself down. I didn’t dare to look over the edge because I knew I wouldn’t do it if I did. I didn’t give myself enough time to think about it before running off the platform. It felt as though I was flying before I plunged into the freezing water. Kinda like the Titanic, poor Jack... There were a few seconds when I thought I wouldn’t make it out because the cold made it difficult to breathe and to move my arms and legs. But as you can tell by my writing this (unless I’m writing it from the great beyond oooOOOooo) I did make it out just fine. I was gasping for air and Jenn said my lips were blue, but the adrenaline rush was so worth it. I mean I would never do it again, but it was definitely worth it the one and only time. By the time I got home, I started showing very advanced signs of a cold, and couldn’t stop coughing or sneezing. Serves me right. I made myself some chicken noodle soup from a packet and stocked up on vitamin c. If juice is sold for 79 cents, don’t buy three. They’re going to be disgusting. This weekend was the Galway Oyster Festival. The actual festival cost 75 euro to participate in, but Mekala, Joe, and I thought we’d go into town around 8 and order some oysters at some restaurant. We went to a place called The Spanish Arch and ordered a dozen raw oysters to split between us. Neither Joe nor I had eaten oysters before, so Mekala showed us how it was done. After putting lemon and balsamic vinegar on the oysters, we swished them around with a fork to separate the meat from the shell. Then we clinked our shells together and swallowed the contents whole. It was pretty strange feeling but very tasty, and I kept getting shards of shell in my mouth. After the oysters we start walking back when Joe finds a large, inflatable willie sitting on the ground outside of one of the pubs. Of course we take it with us. We bring it into a Turkish sandwich and kabob shop where Joe orders a delicious-looking lamb burger. The workers were very amused by the giant willie, which we gave its own seat.


No comments:

Post a Comment